Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Computer problems

My laptop computer crashed, or should I say, has been crashing for the last week or so. I used the times it was working to make sure everything was backed up and on disks, but finally had had enough of the problems and decided I had to get it fixed (since I work at my computer all day, as a writer, I am lost without it!). But that is never easy where we live.

I called Saipan to see if the computer store there could fix the problem (worse case was to put in a new hard-drive). They said they could, and said they could do it in a day... So I went to Saipan today to test them out. I took the early 8am ferry to Saipan--what a ride! The water was very rough today and for the first time, even I came close to getting sea-sick! Many of the passengers were actually screaming when the boat crashed down from some of the waves. It really was like a roller-coaster ride, putting your stomach in your mouth. But we all arrived safely, if green.

I took my computer into MegaByte about 9am. After looking at it, they thought it would need a new hard-drive and said they would try to get it back to me by 3pm--in time for the ferry back to Tinian. They lived up to their promise, fixed my computer by 3pm and I made the ferry back. While waiting I did some shopping and completed a to-do list I create for things that can only be done on Saipan.

I am testing out the computer, and so far, so good. I still have to spend some time getting back all the odds and ends one puts on a computer. Most of the stuff they were able to transfer from the old hard-drive. Considering the problem I had, it worked out well.

So, here is an endorsement of MegaByte on Saipan! They were very good, kept to the time they said they would, and the cost was very reasonable for the work done.

No comments: