Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Scooter repairs and haircuts




After Liz and I traveled around the island for a month--totally abusing our scooters by traveling down dirt roads, getting lost in the jungle, and other general abuse--one of the scooters finally said enough and died. Of course, I was out driving at the time of its death, and had to 'walk' it back to our apartment! Got my exercise that day! So I called our friend Ramon for help.

Yesterday Ramon brought a friend over to work on the bike. It was obvious that he knew the scooter well, and in less than an hour had repaired the bike and had it running better than it ever had! I thanked him and paid him for his time, glad that there was such service on the island.

Yesterday I also tried out our new neighbors. A new business opened next door to us a while ago. They built a metal clad building in stages, that has several small businesses inside. There is a beauty shop and hair salon, a fabric store, a tailor, and some other buisiness. Terri had need of a tailor for a couple of her pants, and I needed a haircut, so I just went next door.

I had the tailor repair the two pants and make a new pair out of new material, for just $25 (the work will be ready next week, so I will let you know how they do).

Then I stepped next door and had my hair cut. A young woman named Lorna had me point to one of the pictures on the wall to show what type of haircut I wanted. Then she started. For the most part she used an electric razor and comb, using sizzors on top. Then she used a straight razor for the edges of my hair--not a barber's razor, but just a two-sided straight razor she held in her hand! Needless to say, I kept quite still, not wanting to be sliced and diced. But there was no need to fear, she was very adept at her work and had no problems. Then I got a small massage and last of all had some hair product put into my hair. In all it, what would take 15 minutes and cost $10-$15 in the states, took 45 minutes and cost $5 on Tinian. You can judge for yourself the results...

No comments: