Sunday, February 10, 2008

In memory of Joaquin (Jack) Aldan Sanchez

On February 4, 2008 Jack Sanchez died at home, with his family surrounding him. Terri had been making home visits to Jack during the last few weeks of his life. I found the way his family cared for Jack quite unique and touching.

They put Jack on a hospital bed and put the bed outside the house near the front door! During hot days, they placed a large umbrella to shade his bed, and during rainy periods, they pulled out a tarp they had attached to the side of the house to cover him. By being outside, he was able to watch family and friends--many had gathered around his side, sitting on chairs and picnic tables that had been placed in front of the home--and receive greeting from his neighbors and friends as they passed by.

It brought back memories of when my mother died. She also was able to be surrounded by her family when she died. As we all have to die someday, there is something wonderful about being able to die at home, surrounded by family and friends. Someday, perhaps I too can pass while lying outside, taking in the beauties of the world, surrounded by family and friends.
Terri and I send our love and prayers to the Sanchez family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I am not able to make it to my uncles funeral...He will always be in my heart no matter what...I love him and to me this is the celebration of life, he suffers no more pain and I will always remember the good times. Rest In Peace Uncle Jack.

Bev

Anonymous said...

Bev:

The day was beautiful and so many attended services. I was honored to be present at your uncle's final moments in this life and his family and friends sent him to Christ enveloped in their arms to be wrapped within His love. I, too, am grateful that he suffers no more.

Terri

Anonymous said...

Terri:

Thank you for everything you've done. You and your husband are the greastest thing that's happened to Tinian in a long time.

Bev