Thursday, December 11, 2008

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

I have never been a good liar. Some people seem to have a natural ability to deceive people through their words and/or actions. I have never been able to hide my feelings from people.

I learned this early in life, as I always seemed to get caught by my parents when I tried to lie my way out of trouble (it is also why my one BIG lie-- when I lied to my parents about how I wrecked my dad's camaro--was such a surprise, both to them and to me!).

I remember one example that always came to mind whenever I was tempted to lie: I was in 5th grade, eating in the cafeteria. I had been chewing gum, and needed to get rid of the gum before I could eat. For some silly reason, I decided to throw the gum over my shoulder. In classic 'Kevan story' style, the gum landing directly into someones soup, with a splash.

My teacher, Mr. Sharp (a very stern male teacher), was told, and he was soon on the hunt for the perpetrator. There had to be 50-75 kids in the cafeteria... I felt quite safe in my anonymity! Mr. Sharp walked up and down the rows of tables, looking at and questioning the young students, and finally came to my table. As he questioned each child about the incident, he saw something in my face that immediately told him that it had been me that threw the gum! How cold that be? I was astonished!

As I spent the next two weeks, during my lunch recess, cleaning the floor of the cafeteria with a hand-broom, I not only had time to think about what I had done, but also pondering just how Mr. Sharp had figured out it had been me that had done the crime... It was clear that my internal conscience, in some way unknown to me, always showed on my face, and that I would never be able to lie without some tell-tale sign showing others of my miss-deeds! And so I became an honest man--not by choice, I suppose, but by necessity!

The same failure I have in trying to deceive others is also seen in my inability to see deception in others. I admit that I am naive: I have never been able to tell when someone is lying to me, and have a terrible time judging the character and motives of others--other than watching what they actually do in front of me. This has cause me problems during my life, as I have often been the recipient of deception by others. But it has also turned into a hidden blessing...

When I was on my mission for my church, I had the opportunity to teach people about the gospel of Christ. I often tried to 'guess' who would be touched by the gospel message and join the church... and I was always wrong! Those I felt sure would understand the truth and accept it, turned from it; and those who I was sure would not accept, or who had too many problems to be willing to change, did indeed change, and accept the Lord into their lives.

Just like my decision not to lie, I finally realized that I had no talent in reading the minds and hearts of other people--so I stopped trying. I stopped judging people based upon first impressions, and waited to get to know people before making judgements about them. This decision has been a great blessing to me. I seldom, if ever, make snap judgments of people, or accept the gossip I might hear about people: I wait to see for myself what type of person they are, by seeing what they do and say.

As is stated in one of our scriptures: God has made strengths of my weaknesses!

No comments: