Tuesday, December 11, 2007

The worth of a soul


What is a soul worth? As I returned to our little apartment after a long walk, I came across a dead cat. Dead cats aren't usually that interesting...but this one was unique: it had a freshly caught mouse still in its mouth. It got me thinking...


How often are we like this cat? So intent on obtaining our desires that we completely ignore the spiritual dangers around us. It is a theme often talked about during the Christmas season: are your thoughts and desires focused on the materialistic extravaganza spread out before you, or are you able to focus on the true, deeper meaning of the season?


This cat was obviously a great predator. He was old, large, healthy, and had proof of its killer instinct. But all of that was not enough. For one brief moment the cat reveled in its success and lost itself in its desires...and was killed by a much larger predator with four wheels.


For some reason it reminded me of a cousin of mine. When I was a teenager I visited this cousin in San Francisco. They were a yuppie couple that had everything. The husband had a job in advertising and was up for a large promotion. My cousin was going to have their first child. They seemed happy and had their whole life ahead of them. My visit just happened to coincide with the days before the promotion. Two men were up for this new position, and each one worked longer and harder in an attempt to impress the boss and to secure the promotion. Finally, the decision was made, and my cousin's husband was given the promotion. We all went out to celebrate. Everything was so good.


Two years later everything had changed. They were divorced and bitter. The new promotion had meant longer hours and more stress. His reach for the brass ring was rewarded with the destruction of his happy family. Years later the consequences continued to be seen in the life of my cousin. On a visit with an uncle, the three of us went out to dinner. It was my cousin's birthday, and should have been a happy time. Several times during dinner my cousin fell off her chair and onto the floor. Her despair at losing her family had let to alcohol. As I helped her back up onto her chair, and tried to hold onto her to prevent her falling again, I couldn't help but think back to that visit many years before. They had been so happy. But for just one moment they lost their focus. Their desire to reach for more made them lose focus on what was most important--their family, and the love they shared. Just one brief moment...


I can only pray that we all use this holiday season to reflect on what is truly important in our lives, and make sure that our focus is on what is most important--our family and loved ones. Then, perhaps, we will be able to see the truck before it hits us!

No comments: