Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Lower Marpo valley and water




































Today I continued to explore the lower Marpo valley--the valley that runs between the two hills, Marpo and Caronlina. After walking up 'the hill', and turning east, I walked until the road ended--into a small farm. They were growing several vegetables, including tomatoes.

There was another road leading even farther east--a paved road--that I decided to follow. This road continued to follow a downward slope. Soon there appeared a tall chain-link fence that seemed to surround a very large area. After a while an opening in the fence appeared, and inside the fenced area a small, unmarked building. It dawned on me that this must be the water-treatment plant for the island. I poked around looking for someone (there was a scooter in front of the building), and just as I was about to leave, a Filipino worker came out of the brush, waving to me. His name was Domingo, and was one of four workers that took care of the water treatment plant. He was kind enough to take me on a tour.

The fenced area surrounds a low point on the island, where the water naturally collects. Several pumps are dropped down about 10'-15', although the water level in this area is only 2'-3' deep. In fact, after opening a small door in the floor, one can see the water table!

The water is drawn up from this low area, chlorinated, and then pumped uphill to two water tanks sitting high on the hills above Marpo Heights and Carolinas Heights. Then the water travels from these tanks, using gravity, to the homes on the island.

The area now surrounded by fence was once a Japanese village, prior to the war.

At the end of this same road is another large farm--a betelnut farm. Betelnut is chewed by the natives, much like chewing tobacco. I guess it gives one a mild euphoric feeling. Some people mix betelnut with tobacco, or with lime juice. It was a beautiful farm--one of the best I have seen on the island--and also had many coconut, mango, and other trees. Several men were working to harvest the betelnut, one was chopping open coconuts, and one was working on a small boat. A Mr. Sanchez, I believe, owns the property. I was very impressed by the care that had been taken in upkeep of this bit of paradise. There were also a few fighting roosters.

3 comments:

Melanie and Will said...

Hello, I realize you don't know me at all as I don't know you...but I happened to stumble across your blog through blog hopping. Anyway, I found your blog interesting after my mother and father-in-law spent many years recently on the islands of Tinian and Saipan. They recently just returned back to the states last year. I'm not sure how long you have been on Tinian, but was curious if you might have known my in-laws as they are members of the Church as well....and my father in law was branch president at one time. Their names are Bill and Karen Steyskal. Did you know them?

Anonymous said...

Melanie:

We have only been here since August of 2007, but will ask around the branch and say Hi from you. Welcome.

Terri

Unknown said...

Terri & Kevan,
What great memories you have brought back to my wife and me. I was on Tinian from Oct 2000 until Aug 2003 when we moved to Saipan. I am a former Branch President of the Saipan Branch ( prior to Del Benson and After Rik Villegas. On Tinian I was the project/site manager for the construction of the new airport/apron. The company I worked for (Telesource CNMI) also built the power plant, the college, and water plant on Tinian. We lived above the Valley Store in Marpo Valley. You mentioned that Ernie Hoffschneider is now the Director of the Tinian Hospital/Clinic. When I was there Ernie was the Director of Public Works, and we worked together many times. Say hi to him for me. Also, give our love to Ramon Apostol. We became great friends, and I still communicate with him. What a fine young man he is. Also, you mentioned Arly. Is this Arly Long? She and her husband Phillip are friends also. Ask her when she is going to open the Mexican food resturant again. The food was to kill for!! Don Farrell is another great person. We became good friends and he autographed the book on Tinian when I was there. He wrote the History book being used in the high schools and Marianas College. Please convey our love to the Branch members. We miss them so much. What a great Branch we have on Saipan. When I was on Saipan I was the project mgr/acting program mgr for the Governors Water Task Force. Reps. Cinta Kaipat and Waki were great supporters of the WTF. Next time you see Cinta give her my love. My e-mail is whsteyskal@yahoo.com. I would dearly like to here from you. Your Blog is absolutely wonderful. Thank you for bringing back such dear memories. We now live and work in Memphis, TN. Again, thank you and God bless. Bill and Karen Steyskal