Saturday, December 1, 2007

Corrections from a local expert




Fortunately I have a few local experts that read my blog and correct me when I go astray! So, according to Howard Cole of hiketinian.blogspot.com, the latte (latt-ee) stones that are found around these islands were used for supports for their homes. Most of the stones were much smaller, say 3' high, and then the house was built on top so that the house sat above the ground.

The shipwreck on the south beach is actually a tuna boat that wrecked during a typhoon in the 1970s or 1980s (it just looks much older!). I guess the whole town had to relocate for a while as the tuna left in the boat rotted and smelled something awful...

We had the chance to take a hike with Howard today to see some latte stones hidden away just of the beach south off Tachogna Beach. We went with a large group of tour agents from Guam visiting the islands. We were very impressed with Howard's knowledge of the area, including the flora and fauna. We intend to go on more of his hikes when we have the chance.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Terri and Kevan,
What beautiful memories you have brought back to me and my wife Karen. I lived and worked on Tinian for over 2.5 years (from Oct 2000). I am also a member of the LDS church. In fact I was Branch President for 2 years, before Del Benson. Please give our love to the Saipan Branch members, we really love and miss them. We are in Memphis, TN now. We left Saipan in October of 2006. The last 2 years we were on Saipan where I was Project Manager and Acting Program Manager for the Governor's Water Task Force. Pleas say hello to Cinta Kaipat for me. She was a great supporter of the WTF.

Thank you for your beautiful pictures of the island.

Please give my best to Ernie Hoffschneider(who was the Public Works Director when I was buildig the new airport runway and apron) and Arly Long and her husband Phillip. Such great people. Ask Arly when she is going to open her taco place again. The food was to kill for.

Also, do you know Rita Manglona? She was the Hospital director before Ernie, and before that she was our secretary for the West Tinian Airport project. Please say hi to her also.

We lived above the Valley Store, across the street from the Blackspur Cockfight Arena.

You mentioned there are 4 Mormons on Tinian. Is Ramon Apostol still one of them? He works in the Broadway at the Tinian Dynasty. If so, tell him hi from Karen and me. What a great friend he was to us.

Again, what great memories you have brought back to us.

My e-mail address is whsteyskal@yahoo.com. God bless you. Bill Steyskal