Saturday, April 26, 2008

Missing Tinian, and Terri

There is a saying: absence makes the heart grow fonder...all those who have left home, or left someone they love know how true this adage is!

We often get so focused on the day-to-day issues and problems in our lives, we can't see the love and joy that surrounds us. It is only when we leave our structured lives that we are forced to consider what we have left behind, and how that life compares with our new experiences. History clearly shows that most people find their greatest joy is found when they are surrounded by their family, and at home. Unfortunately, that joy often gets obscured by the daily problems of life that occur to all of us. It is only when we must face the world without the 'back-up system' of our family we come to realize how cruel and cold the world can be, and how warm and loving our family really is.

All of our children have experienced this 'transformation' because they left home to go on church missions or college, and all returned changed by the experience. All of the 'problems' they once saw within the family, and even rebelled against, suddenly became strengths or non-issues. They returned focused and happier, with a much more mature attitude about life. All because they had the opportunity to leave home--to go on their own and experience life on their own.

I seem to remember a saying from Jesus... something about the need of men and women to leave their parents... I don't think the saying was just about marriage and starting a new family, it is also so that people can leave home and experience this 'fondness' that comes from the absence of friends and family. Leaving home and facing the world on our own crystallizes in our minds what is true and what is false, it helps us to make a decision as to how to live our lives.

Anyway, I truly am missing my life on Tinian...and of course my reason for being there--Terri.

2 comments:

CalmSeas said...

In reference to children leaving home:

My son will be 16 this month. I think that is a big moment in a child's life because they are at the point in life where they must start making decisions that will affect the rest of their life.

I reflect upon my own past where I was living on my own at this age and looking forward to joining the USMC (circa 1974).

Now, at 51 years old & still heading to the sound of cannons...I ponder to think, will my son follow in my footsteps? Are our actions as parents so influential that our children ( or at least some of them) are bound to follow in our footsteps?

At an advancing age I finally start to see what life is about...it is doing the best you can, and then letting your offspring carry on.

At the end, we can only ask...What Happened? What the Hell happened???(The Sand Pebbles...Steve McQueeen)

Semper Fi

Anonymous said...

http://www.cafb29b24.org/docs/buyativan/#medication recovering from ativan overdose - ativan epocrates