Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Scuba diving on Tinian

Terri has been on leave from work for a few days, so we decided to go scuba diving. This will be our third time scuba diving on Tinian. The first time, when we were learning, was a beach dive, the second was a boat dive at Turtle Cove (each time we dove twice). This time we are taking the boat to Fleming point, which is a deeper dive, then return to Turtle cove for a second, shallower, dive.

Here is the boat and our capable driver, and Terri, waiting to shove-off

It was a great day, mostly sunny, although the water was rough when we got to the west side of the island where Fleming Point is located

We leave the dock area. There are fewer boats moored at the local dock now. Perhaps because it is rainy season


We followed the ferry out of the harbor on our way to our dive site

As we neared the dive site, the cliffs became higher. You can see the white cross located at Fleming Point. There is a permanent buoy here for the dive boats to tie to. The main attraction at this dive site is a large cave with three openings you can swim through. It was quite exiting the enter an underwater cave. The water was rough on top (which made our entry into the water more difficult (remember, we are still beginners!), but once underwater, you could not tell...

On our way to the next dive site at Turtle Cove, Terri ponders the meaning of life?


Our dive instructor fished on the way to the second dive site, but had no luck


Here I am making sure my little underwater camera is working ok...

If you look closely you will see a wonderful new fish we saw, I think they call it a lion fish



You can see our dive instructor in the distance-- keeping a watch over his wandering herd

Here are some coral formations... always with numerous fish of every color around them



Here is our dive instructor taking pictures of some small blue fish






The color of the coral and the fish are quite brilliant... my camera just doesn't do it justice!


Here was a great coral formation with little blue fish. As you neared the location, the little fish would disappear into the coral. As you moved away, they would all come out of hiding and swarm around the coral again.





This was an old stone or concrete anchor and chain left on the bottom of the ocean

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was with the 374th Gen. Hosp. during WWII, and my favorite occasional free-time activity was swimming along the coral reefs. Your great pictures of the coral and the little blue fish brought back memories. Those little blue guys were my favorites!

Joe Lawler

Kevan said...

Those were my favorites...until I saw the lion fish! Wow! I was told it is very poisonous, so I was glad I didn't get too close. The only sad thing was that my pictures just don't do justice to the brilliant colors one actually sees while scuba diving or snorkling.

Kim Griesemer said...

You brought back memories for me too--of diving the Great Barrier Reef with Dan. I'll never dive again because my dive buddy is gone, but I remembering the experience through your pictures. Thanks.

Much love,
Kim

Anonymous said...

WoW! tHats aLL I cAn sAy!!!

Sincerely!

MG said...

Hey, i'm a student at Tinian High School. We're making a website on the environment of Tinian & was wondering if I could have permission to use some of your photos.