Thursday, September 6, 2007

Ants, gnats, and geckos

I knew about the ants. One could suspect gnats would fly and annoy during the rainy season. I met the geckos in May.

In May, the geckos stayed outside. In my new apartment, they come to visit at night. I have a Papa, a Mama, and two babies. The babies explore the intersection of the wall and ceiling a bit while the Mama stays between the slat window and the screen and Papa comes in every once in a while to check the babies. While trying to stay calm and simply watch TV, I asked Kevan to tell me some ancient story about how the geckos are really genies or guardian angels or something positive. He tells me that there are such ancient stories, although he did not know any off the top of his head. He also tells me that they are good luck and that they eat insects.

I’ll believe the good luck thing, but I’m not certain about the insects. I sat here and watched an ant and a baby gecko nose to nose. The gecko did nothing while the ant ran all around it—and over it! It finally looked as if the ant might eat the gecko. The baby finally had enough of the ant and ran off to the corner.

But the geckos never came down from the ceiling more than a foot, and Papa went back outside as soon as he checked on the babies. Every time I would wake up at night, I would peer around the room, and there were no geckos in my bedroom, so I have relaxed.

Kevan must be right . . . there must be a good story about geckos.

No comments: