Tuesday, August 26, 2008

More of my trip to Utah


My father just returned from a trip to Europe to visit my son Michael, who is a marine stationed in Germany. You can tell he is a German convert by the hat... we fulled expected him to break out in yodelling at any moment!

My father has worked with the National Abilities Center for years. Every summer he brings his boat to a local reservoir and spends two to three days a week helping people with various disabilities to enjoy water-skiing, swimming, jet skiing, etc. Every imaginable disability has been brought to enjoy the water and sun. My father rigged a hoist on his boat so that he can lift those who cannot use their legs up into the boat, and down into the water. They have specialized water-skis that can accommodate paraplegics, and those with other disabilities. Jet skis follow the boat and the skiers so that if they fall, or if there is a problem, there is help there immediately.

On this day, the group was deaf. My daughter and I had taken sign language several years ago, and I had a fun time trying to remember the signs and language as I tried to communicate with them. They had a fun time.

Here is one of the jet-skis that would follow the boat, as well as give people rides.


One of the guests did a great job getting up on water-skis... in fact the only one that did!


He was welcomed back into the boat with lots of praise and high-fives!

We ate lunch together as a group. After lunch, the group decided to concentrate on other activities, so my father and I went home early.

Another trip I made while in Utah was to the Dinosaur museum with two of my grandchildren.


Ben was fascinated with a map of the museum, and insisted that we follow it exactly. If anyone decided to go another direction than showed on the map...you were quickly scolded to get back in line!

Kael spent his time playing in the 'bone yard', looking for more dinosaur bones in the sand.

Ben just missed being eaten by a prehistoric shark!

The Utah trip was a great success and great fun, but it was still good to get back to Tinian!


No comments: