Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Northern Marpo Valley

The road north








The rock that did Terri in...

After visiting the San Isidro festival the other night, I decided to visit the area during the day. I had not walked the area before, as it is a long trek there (it was a six or seven mile walk!). But I had rested over the weekend, so figured I was up for it.

It is a beautiful area, with small farms and lots of gardens-many more than usually found in the village area of the island. There were fewer homes the farther away from the village one got, until the paved road finally came to an end (there is a dirt road that continues for some distance further north. There was also an old rock quarry and an asphalt plant. It is my understanding that the asphalt plant is no longer in service as copper thieves stripped the plant of all copper wiring, leaving it unable to function. The cost of the wire stolen was probably a few hundred dollars, at most; but the cost to rewire the equipment and get it running again would cost many thousands of dollars--what a waste!

We have finally finished the remodel on the hospital room at the clinic. The new curtains were put up, and a number of beautiful pictures (taken by our daughter Liz) were put on the walls. Terri is also 'shuffling' the pictures in her room so that pictures by Liz can be seen by her patients. The clinic has become an art gallery!

1 comment:

Gena said...

Hafa adai yan memorias, I enjoyed your pictured and how wonderful it is back in Tinian. The weather, beaches, and the people. I used to live in Tinian since I was borned up until 2002. Looking at the pictures brings me back to the island. The person with the rod and reel and also the guy with the throwing net. How I missed doing those? I also like to go and pick donni'(hot pepper). Ask Ochi Borja and Brenda Iglecias (my co-worker) about me (Gena). Hopefully soon, I'll visit the island. Thank-You