Sunday, December 16, 2007

The Clinic Christmas Party

























Terri and I have never been very good at socializing, but we were invited to the Hospital Christmas Party-- something we were obligated to attend, and, we wouldn't have missed.

Ernie Hoffschneider, the Clinic Director, was the official MC of the evening. Everyone was there except a few nurses that were manning the fort (food was taken back to them so they could at least enjoy a part of the festivities). As you can see by the pics, there was a lot of food!

We sat at a table with Dr. Toledo and his wife, and got to know them much better. Later, the new nurse practitioner, Arly, came to sit with us. She is brand new at the clinic just this week. She had worked on Tinian for years, then transferred to Saipan, and now is back. She will be a great addition to the clinic, and will help with the time burdens placed on Dr. Toledo and Terri.

After everyone had eaten, Dr. Toledo brought out some 'party games'. As usual, it was difficult to get people to volunteer, but finally, a small group was persuaded to join, including Terri and I. Believe it or not, Terri and I were announced as the winners! The prize was two shots of Tequila... which we had to pass on, since as Mormons, we don't drink. But there were plenty of people who were ready to take up the slack for us!

As people loosened up, many hit the dance floor (with disco lights and everything!). Even Terri and I tried our hand at it (I can hear the groans from my family thousands of miles away...). Terri is actually quite a good dancer-- at least she actually looks like she is dancing. For myself, if I can get one foot moving in rhythm, I figure I have made a success of the evening. I think I might even put Elaine of Seinfeld's dance to shame!

Terri and I finally bowed out about 10pm (the party started at 6:30), and took a small cake to the nurses at the clinic. Then we went for a night ride on our bikes, to take a picture of the Tinian Christmas tree. It sits just below the hill leading to the airport. It is beautiful. It was a great evening, and has been a great weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The islanders are very much blessed with you and your wife being there. I have lived on the island all my life. I get homesick every now and then, but it's ok.

Congratulations to the new addtion to your family.

Merry Christmas & Happy New year.