Friday, January 9, 2009

Return to Kastiyu Park

Rather tired from my 9+ mile walk yesterday, I decided to return to Kastiyu Park... this time with my scooter! There were numerous roads up on top of the hill that led to somewhere, but I did not have the energy to walk all the way down the road to see what was there. I also had not gone to the actual wildlife park... so off I went.

On the way, I filled my tank, and passed the roadwork that continues to progress rapidly--they are now headed down to the dock area in removing the existing road.

They are also digging a large hole in the middle of town... perhaps a catch basin for water runoff?

There always seems to be another side-road I haven't explored. This one led to someone's property. It was well groomed, but didn't have much built on it yet-- but what a view!

Then it was back into the Park. The park is open to visitors 9am to 5pm Monday thru Friday, and, I think, is open on Saturday mornings till about 2pm. There are a number of things to see in the park, only one of which is the wildlife sanctuary (entry to this costs $5 for adults and $2 for children).
I found it amazing that I have lived on Tinian for over a year, and had not been into the park! I have lots of excuses, but no good reasons... I guess we will see what I have missed!
My 'short' walk through part of the park was awesome, and has certainly made me intrigued by what else I have missed!
The road leading to the park, through the gate, and up to the first fork in the road is rather rough. Even on a scooter, it was a rough ride getting up to better roads (most of the roads up on top of the hill were great--smooth and no ruts).
Once at the first fork, there was a wide grassy road leading right/south? It was clear there must be something good down the road (there was no sign) because the road was well kept.
After driving a mile or two, I came to the end of the road, and a monument with benches. The sign was in Japanese, so I don't know what it said... but it was obviously the top of Suicide Cliff.

The view from the lookout was spectacular! You could see the suicide cliff memorial down below, and had a wide view of the east side of the island.



The small monument and benches were right in front of a large hole, used by the Japanese during WWII




There was another small monument a few yards away

It had a similar set-up, with a monument and seats in front of a hole. This one actually looked out from the cliff side



There were other openings in the side of the cliff-- perhaps all part of the same network

After retracing my steps, I was back to the main road (part of the road I walked yesterday), there were signs letting me know which road to take to get to the wildlife refuge.

It is still amazing the size of the top of the hill--wide open grass areas, wooded areas, wonderful cliffs and scenic overlooks... just amazing.

The entrance to the park is all the way on the other side of the hill (hence, the cliff and being able to see the Suicide Cliff monument down below!). The road down to the gate is very rough, much like the road at the entrance...

and there were signs that others had discovered this also...

There is a guard shack just in front of the fenced entrance, and an igloo (one of several on the site, which I was told were built so people could camp here).

The park itself is very beautiful and shady. The animals in the park are scattered throughout the park, which extends along the cliff line about a mile or so.

Here is the 'map' of the park. I only saw the area around the gate (I am waiting to go back with Terri to see the rest of the park), but you can see how far along the cliff line the park extends. I spoke to some of the workers--who were continuing to build cabins and things so guests could come and stay overnight at the park-- who told me that at the far end of the park you can see the suicide monument, and vice-versa (the park is actually farther down the cliff line from the first overlook area, so you can't see the monument from here).

They had benches set up at the cliff side so people could sit and view the panorama available to them from areas along the cliff.

You can see the farthest extent of Marpo Point from this location

This is the point you can see from the Suicide Cliff monument built below the cliff line. I was told that they have a trail from the top of the cliff, down into the forested area below, where there are goats and other wildlife. Sometimes you can see the goats climbing the hills around the area.
I certainly waited way too long to experience the Kastiyu Wildlife Park! It is fabulous. The Mayor has a grand design for the future of the park-- with overnight camping among the other benefits. I look forward to discovering more of the park, and seeing the progress being made there by the workers.
For anyone coming to Tinian, it is worth the time to climb the hill...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Im coming to Tinian in September of this year and your blog makes me even more excited!

Anonymous said...

Kevan - I believe the caves you saw were hiding places for some hold-out Japanese soldiers after our occupation of the island. They would try to infiltrate our outfit - 374th gen hosp. - at night to get food.
In all of your blogs and pictures I haven't seen any shots or descriptions of Mt. Lasso, where the hospital was located. Have you been there? I understand the stone caduceus and some of the walls at the entrance are still there.

Kevan said...

I have not been there, or if I have, I did not know where I was.

I have been to the top of Mt. Lasso, and seen some of the Japanese structures there, and also, just below, there are some caves that are marked, where the Japanese hid during the war; but it is heavy jungle, and I have never gone off the marked trails to 'explore'.

Perhaps there are others who may know, but if it is there, I'm sure it would be buring by the jungle!