Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Why the Tinian blog

I am always surprised when I discover that people other than friends and family members read our blog... so I thought I would discuss why I write it.

1. The first and most important reason is simply to inform family and friends of our adventure on Tinian. It was never envisioned to be insightful or provocative in any way--just informative.

2. However, knowing that this is a public site that anyone could read, we determined from the start to try to make it as positive as possible--which was easy considering where we live!

3. Almost as an afterthought, we thought we might talk a little about Tinian in an attempt to give people a reason to come to Tinian to see the island for themselves. This last item is the only one that brings up any dissension-- how 'objective' could we be in talking about the island, being strangers here ourselves? So we do our best to look at events that occur on Tinian in as objective a way as possible...

We have also made a point to correct and/or delete any entries and comments that people may have found objectionable. One thing I have discovered over my 56 years is that I make a lot of mistakes...and on too many occasions I care to share, I have made a fool of myself! In fact, it has happened so often, the extended family has gathered together what they call 'Kevan stories'. At more than one family gathering the entire crowd could be seen rolling on the floor with laughter as even one of these stories was retold! Believe it or not, they became so popular, when we lived in Connecticut, that they were used as part of sermons from the pulpit--to help wayward youth learn what NOT to do! As for me, I just try to learn from my mistakes, and try not to make any more--which seems to be a hopeless cause.

So...if anyone has been offended by something they read in our blog, I apologise, and will try to do better. For those who enjoy 'peering in' at our lives on Tinian, we hope you enjoy the the posts and perhaps decide to come visit Tinian for yourselves.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We humbly accept your apology in the spirit it is given. We wish you and "Doc" a safe and wonderful trip.

Unknown said...

hey Kevan I think you're doing a terrific thing for Tinian and most especially for loved ones who have moved abroad craving for "daily" news, goings-on, photos.. on our beloved island. You've bridged that link and I applaud you!!!!
Keep up the wonderful "job"

Anonymous said...

Originally from Tinian now live on Guam! Thank you for all you have done! :)

Love your blog!

Wags said...

Kevan,

I don't see any need for caveats in your writings. They seem to be forthright, positive and uplifting.
They are a real contrast to the negative news we are inundated with daily. Keep it coming. It's good for the spirit.

Wags