Wednesday, October 22, 2008

There is obviously a fisherman living in this house--he has his fishing nets hanging to dry in one of the trees in his yard


More flower 'artwork' to be found on Tinian

A tether-ball! I used to love to play tether-ball as a child. Every elementary school had several of these poles on the playground, and we even had one in the backyard of our home. One of the earliest memories I have is when I got into trouble because, for some reason, I got angry and took a knife and slashed the yellow ball on the pole... It was a great lesson in karma and consequences! In my anger I had forgotten that I was only hurting myself--the next day when I went out to play, I had nothing to play with... From then on I began to learn to control my anger!


More new construction is appearing around the island, especially up on Marpo Heights

This home is starting a big addition--3-4 bedrooms are being added. I spoke to the man leasing the property--he was Chinese and did not speak much English, but he spoke enough to let me know what he was doing with the home and to say that he had moved to Tinian about three months ago and was a farmer! I guess he is starting a new farm on the island. How interesting! I hope he is successful so that we can get more fresh produce right here on Tinian.

Another home--I'm not sure this is a new home, it looks more like an older home that is being rebuilt and/or reworked.

Most homes built now-a-days on Tinian are made out of concrete, in order to withstand the typhoons that frequently hit the island. Here is a new home that is being built in a more frugal way--wood with metal corrugated siding. It is not expensive, and goes up quickly and easily, but the danger is whether or not it will still be there after a big storm.

The community 'manger' continues to progress on Broadway


One new home on Marpo Heights has planted 'carpet' grass, or 'putting green' grass in their front yard. It stays green, is low maintenance, and, if you have a hole and a pole, you can practice your putting!


The same home has created a beautiful front entry and sitting area

They are also building a new carport, that is progressing quickly

Goats (the local lawn-mowers) are a frequent sight on Tinian. They are just an all-around good pet to have--they eat anything, they work hard (cutting the grass!), and when you are tired of them, they make a great stew... I know because I had goat for my 'going away party' just prior to leaving on my mission.

In my extended family I have a 'goat' side and a 'sheep' side: like the scriptures that talk about the sheep and the goats, one side of my family is very religious, and the other side of my family is the opposite--they like to have wild parties. Well, the 'goat' side of my family decided to barbecue a goat during my send-off prior to leaving for two years to do missionary work in Pennsylvania. It was a great party!

No comments: