Monday, July 28, 2008

Gardens of Tinian

One of the pleasures of walking around the village on Tinian is to view the variety of gardens that the locals have created around their homes. Many of the plants are completely new to me and make walking a true wonderland:


Many people surround their property with tree stumps that are used to plant flowers in--kind of a 'flower fence'
There are still a number of empty lots around the village, just waiting for someone to build a new home on.



Just another 'lawn mower' working hard at keeping the grass mowed!

Here is another new palm tree I had never seen before.

Roshi's was a popular clothing store when we arrived about a year ago. Just one more sign of the times in the CNMI...





Laundry is an expensive chore on the island, now that the electricity costs have doubled or tripled, so many have gone back to 'air drying' clothes... takes me back to my childhood when I used to help my mother take clothes off the line in the back of our little white house in Utah.


I discovered a wonderful little park tucked away at the end of a dead-end road. Like many projects on the islands, the upkeep is often too expensive to continue..



Many buildings continue to sit uncompleted-- waiting for better times perhaps...

No comments: