Thursday, October 18, 2007

Walking home

I walk to and from work three times a day; in the morning, at lunchtime, and in the evening. I had a pretty quiet afternoon today as I think people are staying home because of the pinkeye epidemic, so I walked home a few minutes early. I absolutely love this walk. The bush-cutter was whacking away at the central island grass, the chickadees were congregating in the flame trees along my walk, and the kids were walking home from after-school activities. There is so much life here.

Next door to the hospital is the public safety building, which houses both fire and police as well as ambulance. Very often, these men are sitting outside awaiting an emergency and they all wave and shout "Hi Doc" as I pass. Then I pass the Mayor's office and often one or another of the island's public representatives will shout "Hi" or call me in to ask me something.

All the while, since there are no sidewalks along this main thruway, cars slowly pass me and the occupants shout greetings as well.

I finally turn the corner onto a smaller, quieter street. I first pass some homes built from corrugated sheet metal (they do have air conditioners, but their windows are often open - can you imagine the heat?) and at night when I'm on my way to an emergency, I often hear a greeting from inside these homes as parents calm their children for bed see me walking by. I then pass Kerida's restaurant and the dog tied to the corner. No matter how many times I pass that dog, he still barks and barks at me. Luckily, his chain is stronger than he.

As I enter the LoriLynn, the concierge, Nancy, and the owner, Ben Manglona, greet me once more with "Hi Doc," and I know I'm home.

I am content to serve as I receive the sincere gratitude of everyone around me.

No comments: