Friday, October 26, 2007

Rhythms

As we've lived here for 2 months now, I've noticed certain new rhythms in my life.

We have not set an alarm clock since we've been here. I've always had a pretty good internal clock, awakening about 15 minutes before the alarm would sound, but we've stopped even setting an alarm anymore, much to my liking.

One has to plan very carefully when to shower. I always think of my parents when they were living in Mongolia. There, the water was heated by the steam generated at the main power plant and so when they heard steam in the pipes, even at 2 in the morning, they would get out of bed to shower. Here, we have absolutely NO hot water. A cool shower is really appropriate in the tropics, but it still takes courage to step into the shower in the morning. Kevan solves this problem by showering after we take our walk in the evening and he's all hot and sweaty, so he enjoys the coolness. I, on the other hand, have to look professional in the morning, so I shower in the morning. Man, talk about a wake up call.

Even though there is no hot water, I find myself choosing to turn the hot water knob for certain chores while turning on the cold for others. For instance, when I'm washing the dishes or wiping down the kitchen counter, I ALWAYS turn on the hot water faucet. If I'm brushing my teeth, it's always the cold. I've noticed this for the past few weeks, and even when I'm totally conscious of what I'm doing, I can't seem to change the habit. I will add this to my list of "rhythms."

Last but not least, when I open the silverware drawer, I open it, count to two, and then reach for the silverware I need. Why you may ask? Because every once in a while there is a gecko that likes to hang out on the edge of this drawer, so I count to two to give it enough time to scurry somewhere else and not onto my hand.

Ah, the rhythm of Tinian.

No comments: