Sunday, October 7, 2007

Going to the Beach

After a three-week hiatus, Kevan and I went to the beach today only to find huge, crashing waves. I know everyone has the famous picture of Hawaiian beaches and waves in their minds when they think of the Pacific Ocean, but we usually have 1-2 foot waves that lovingly sway you back and forth in the water. This is truly a snorkeling paradise with crystal clear water that is rather sedate so you don't get knocked around.

It has been raining cats and dogs pretty much round the clock for a week, so as I approached the ocean and heard thunder, I thought we were in for another storm. I was mistaken though. The sound I heard was not thunder but simply the waves CRASHING against Taga Beach.

Being the land-lubbers we are, we never thought to check the marine advisory before we left for the beach. Turns out there were, indeed, marine advisories out for waves 7-8 feet . . . and they were! But as forbidding as the waves were against the rocks, neither one of us could resist the temptation to get into that surf . . . and we did.

The only people at the beach today were two Japanese women tourists with their two boys. The boys stuck to the beach, content simply to sit on the beach and let the waves cover their legs. Not the Clawsons! We had brought our new snorkeling equipment to try out, but we knew that was out as the sand was boiling in the waves and visibility was nil - not to mention the waves being out of control. With equipment left upon the beach, we ventured into the water - slowly at first, testing the rip tide. We felt safe enough to go a little farther and so into the water we went. We had a wonderful time in those 8-foot waves, allowing ourselves to be lifted high on the waves and at other times ducking under the water, letting the wave break over our heads. There was a bit of a rip tide, so we were careful to keep our eyes on the buoys and the shore and not get out too far.

There was only one problem - as beautiful as our beaches are, they are a combination of sand and rocks. As the surf became progressively aggressive, I found myself being moved toward the rocks and it takes time in that kind of surf to move yourself to any specific location. As the surf crashed and I felt the rocks below me, I maneuvered myself to save my head from the rocks. I managed to protect my head, but my poor gluteus did take the brunt of it all. I have two rather large abrasions on either cheek (if you know what I mean). Needless to say, it was a long walk home. You'll have to use your imagination on this one as it's a picture I'll not post, but here I "sit" at 1 AM not able to sleep because I keep sticking to everything as the wounds ooze a bit.

I'm not sorry at all, though. I had a wonderful time. I think that next time I'll check the marine advisory.

No comments: