Thursday, October 11, 2007

Filipinos

I have the privilege of working with many wonderful Filipinos. Each one of them works very, very hard and are very well educated in the field of medicine. They are my nurses, radiology techs, lab techs, and pharmacy techs. They are here on Tinian to make a better life for their families.

I am impressed by the sacrifices they make. One of my colleagues has been living on Tinian for 8 years. She doesn't make that much money and certainly not what we would expect someone in her position to make should she work on the mainland, but she works hard in order to earn a living for herself here while sending as much money as she can home. You see, she has 2 children living with her sister in the Philippines. They have been living apart for the past 8 years. When I asked her how often she gets to go home to see them, she said, "every two years," much to my amazement. In order to support them, she has left them. Next month, instead of being an agency worker with few benefits, she is becoming a government worker, which will enable her to get a housing allowance and will afford her the privilege of bringing her two children here to Tinian to go to school. She is very excited and I don't blame her. She has worked so hard!

My parents served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Hong Kong for 2 years. My mother has mentioned many times her admiration for the Filipina women who work so hard, so many hours, as foreign workers in Hong Kong. She has told me many times of their sweet nature, and I concur.

So for my Filipino friends, "maraming salamat" (thank you very much) - Think I'll ever learn Tagalog?

1 comment:

Bob Leathers said...

It was never like this in 1944-45 when I was there as a member of the 50th Seabee Batalion. Our out fit repaired the docking facilitie and assisted in building the runways. It took me about seven month's to dry out as we were there in the monsoon seson. Does anyone offer tour's of the Island?Bob Leathers
bobseabee@comcast.net